STEM Teacher- Goodwill Education Initiatives
The Excel Center
The STEM (Science or Math) Instructor implements and develops The Excel Center curriculum and the success of its students. The Instructor facilitates learning for students attending The Excel Center, meeting students where they are. The Instructor employs a student-centered approach effectively tailoring the instructional strategies to the student’s needs approaching instruction with grit, creativity, and innovation. Strategies include but are not limited to direct instruction, one-on-one instruction, seminars, self-paced lessons, and online learning environments. The Instructor employs high-impact instructional practices and motivational techniques. The position works with the instructional team in meeting the educational goals and adhering to the Indiana State Standards as well as continuously improving curriculum and instruction.
Example Duties and Activities
- Designs and implements curricula and assessments that meet academic standards and measure progress towards student mastery of the Indiana Academic Standards, Common Core State Standards, and 21st Century Skills. Builds lessons around student needs, including online learning tools and content.
- Identifies and tracks relevant student/school data/staff performance to set improvement and/or achievement goals and to drive future evaluation and feedback.
- Builds solid relationships with students. Communicates student progress effectively with students and colleagues; partners with staff to ensure student success.
- Communicates strengths and areas for improvement frequently and uses restorative approaches to resolve conflict.
- Develops personal professional/performance goals and action plans to reach goals. Reflects on prior goals and makes adjustments to professional practice and goals.
- Works directly with the school director to develop and implement school-wide goals around graduation outcomes, enrollment needs, student achievement, retention, etc.
- Works with coaches and leadership staff to aid students’ progress toward graduation and postsecondary planning.
- Assists staff with professional development, training, and goal setting.
- Sets and maintains a high-performance culture for staff and students.
- Participates in student recruitment, enrollment, and outreach efforts.
- Degree and Credential Requirements – Bachelor’s degree in subject specialty and a current Indiana Teaching Certification in the subject specialty, or the willingness to obtain an emergency teaching license.
- Instructional Strategies – Employs various approaches, learning styles, and channels to instruct and engage students, such as communicating content in terms they can comprehend, organizing talking points for clarity, and repeating arguments when necessary. Uses a wide range of teaching devices and methodologies appropriate to the class content, the learners’ level, goals, and priorities which increase student achievement results.
- Communication Skills – Articulates thoughts and expresses ideas effectively using oral, written, visual and non-verbal communication skills, as well as listening skills to comprehend others’ needs. Delivers information in person, in writing, and in a digital world.
- Information Monitoring/Reporting – Collects and reviews information to manage or improve the achievement of learning goals.
- Teamwork – Works well with others and makes valued contributions in a team setting in order to achieve the required goals and outcomes. Contributes to creating a positive learning environment that promotes productivity, mentoring, teamwork, and partnership.
- Adaptability – Maintains effectiveness when experiencing shifts in priorities; adjusts effectively while maintaining a positive learning environment.
- Industry Standards – Displays a working knowledge of the Indiana Academic Standards, Common Core State Standards, and 21st Century Skills and knowledge of disciplinary literacy.
- Teaching Expertise – Plans and delivers instruction and evaluation of student learning, ideally for high school-age students in nontraditional and/or in an adult education setting.
- Diversity Awareness – Works with diverse populations including people who have experienced barriers to their education.
- Technical Knowledge – Has working knowledge of G Suite and MS Office, as well as student information systems.
- Background Screening – All candidates must pass a pre-employment background check.
Benefits: Full-time employees may participate in a comprehensive benefits program that includes:
- Continuing education and leadership development as well as tuition reimbursement
- Comprehensive health plan
- Paid time off (PTO) and paid holidays
- Life, dental and vision insurance
- Short- and long-term disability plans
- Nationally recognized preventive health and wellness program
- Section 125 pretax health spending account, dependent care spending account, and premiums
- Retirement plan with generous match or contribution into Teachers’ Retirement Fund for eligible employees
- Eligible for the Public Student Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program
Goodwill Education Initiatives
Goodwill strongly believes it is essential to raise education attainment levels in Indiana. Not only are the lifetime earnings of high school graduates significantly higher than those of dropouts, children of high school graduates are 50% less likely to drop out of high school than the children of dropouts are. Goodwill provides opportunities for adults (The Excel Center) and youth (Indianapolis Metropolitan High School).
The Excel Center Model:
The Excel Center® is operated by Goodwill Education Initiatives, Inc., a not-for-profit organization formed by Goodwill of Central & Southern Indiana.
Recognizing that nearly a half million working-age Hoosiers lack a high school diploma, Goodwill opened The Excel Center for adults in 2010. The Excel Center is a tuition-free public high school for adults offering an Indiana Core 40 high school diploma.
The Excel Center currently serves more than 4,000 students annually.
Thank you for your interest in an open position.
Please fill out the form below to stay informed about relevant job opportunities from Teach Indy.