Paraprofessional (part-time) – Excel Center University Heights The Excel Center University Heights
The Paraprofessional provides student assistance and guidance for online classes and manages the organization and coordination of office operations, procedures, and resources to facilitate organizational effectiveness and efficiency of The Excel Center. The Paraprofessional works closely with staff and students to supervise and maintain orderly operations for the school. Works with The Excel Center online instructors by assisting with broadcasting the class, collecting paperwork, and making sure students comprehend coursework. Other duties include setting up student accounts, assisting with credit recovery classes, supporting iExcel, and updating attendance records. The position works with the instructional team in meeting educational goals and adhering to the Indiana Academic Standards.
Example Duties and Activities
- Provides students the opportunity to achieve credit attainment by assisting with online courses and ensuring student comprehension; this includes providing assistance in reading, note-taking, and study strategies, and helping with remediation plans for students who are struggling while maintaining classroom order and discipline.
- Sets up student accounts and tracks relevant student/school data/staff performance to set improvement and/or achievement goals and to drive future evaluation and feedback. Ensures student information system is accurate and up-to-date. Collects, records, and sends student assignments to appropriate destinations.
- Monitors testing and independent study time. Assists with attendance keeping.
- Manages on-site enrollment for new students to include iExcel, troubleshooting, and decision-making in accordance with The Excel Center model.
- Assists with new student orientation. Ensures students who are new to the school can adapt to school expectations and make progress on academic work.
- Maintains office equipment and remedies malfunctions.
- Develops personal professional/performance goals and action plans to reach goals. Reflects on prior goals and makes adjustments to professional practice and goals.
- Works directly with the staff to develop and implement school-wide goals around graduation outcomes, enrollment needs, student achievement, retention, etc.
- Works with coaches and leadership staff to aid students’ progress toward graduation and postsecondary planning.
- Assists staff with professional development, training, and goal setting.
- Sets and maintains a high-performance culture for staff and students.
- Participates in student recruitment and outreach efforts.
- Degree and Credential Requirements – NONE! We value candidates who can demonstrate capability and articulate how prior experiences will help them contribute. We believe in continuous learning and professional development.
- Tutoring Expertise – Has a good grasp of a variety of subjects with an ability to explain concepts easily to assist, ideally high school-age students in an urban, nontraditional, and/or adult education setting, in achieving expected competencies in core academic skills. Creates, adapts, and delivers instructional materials to break up learning into steps.
- Academic Mindset – Possesses the essential mindset that all students can succeed. Is compelled to improve the outcomes and lives of students in and out of the classroom.
- Results-Oriented – Is moved to recognize what results are important and what steps need to be taken to achieve goals or targets for self or others. Adept at effectively prioritizing multiple priorities.
- Communication Skills – Articulates thoughts and expresses ideas effectively using oral, written, visual and non-verbal communication skills, as well as listening skills to comprehend others’ needs. Delivers information in person, in writing, and in a digital world.
- Teamwork – Works well with others and makes valued contributions in a team setting in order to achieve the required goals and outcomes. Contributes to creating a positive learning environment that promotes productivity, mentoring, teamwork, and partnership.
- Adaptability – Maintains effectiveness when experiencing shifts in priorities; adjusts effectively while maintaining a positive learning environment.
- Technical Knowledge – Has working knowledge of G Suite and MS Office, as well as student information systems and distance learning technology, preferably Blackboard.
- Information Monitoring/Reporting – Collects and reviews information to manage or improve the achievement of learning goals.
- Diversity Awareness – Works with diverse populations including people who have experienced barriers to their education.
- Background Screening – All candidates must pass a pre-employment background check.
Benefits: Goodwill offers a competitive package of benefits even for part-time employment that includes:
- Corporate wellness program that includes: an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), on site health coaching and wellness discounts (Weight Watchers, YMCA, etc.)
- Discount programs for phone carriers (Verizon, AT&T, etc.) and 20% discount off Goodwill retail stores immediately upon hire
- Financial education programs- credit union membership and access to online workshops
- Mental health support with up to 15 free counseling sessions for you and any family members
Goodwill Education Initiatives
Goodwill strongly believes it is essential to raise education attainment levels in Indiana. Not only are the lifetime earnings of high school graduates significantly higher than those of dropouts, children of high school graduates are 50% less likely to drop out of high school than the children of dropouts are. Goodwill provides opportunities for adults (The Excel Center) and youth (Indianapolis Metropolitan High School).
The Excel Center Model
The Excel Center® is operated by Goodwill Education Initiatives, Inc., a not-for-profit organization formed by Goodwill of Central & Southern Indiana.
Recognizing that nearly a half million working-age Hoosiers lack a high school diploma, Goodwill opened The Excel Center for adults in 2010. The Excel Center is a tuition-free public high school for adults offering an Indiana Core 40 high school diploma. Apply
Thank you for your interest in an open position.
Please fill out the form below to stay informed about relevant job opportunities from Teach Indy.
"*" indicates required fields