Global Preparatory Academy
Global Preparatory Academy develops compassionate global leaders through a rigorous education program that focuses on hands-on, cultural and Spanish immersion learning opportunities.
Global Prep Academy, a dual language school that connects students from diverse linguistic backgrounds and educates them together in a highly rigorous, engaging and nurturing environment. Using both English and Spanish to instruct students in all core content areas, students will develop high levels of bilingualism and biliteracy, as well as a deep value and understanding of other cultures. As citizens in a global world, students at Global Prep gain limitless access to other cultures through bilingualism and instruction, which emphasizes critical thinking using global perspectives and experiential learning.
The person in this position is responsible for providing direct music instruction for grades kindergarten to sixth grade following the Indiana Music Education Standards. The person in this position will be responsible for creating an adaptive and conducive learning environment in a general education setting to students and providing a weekly class to our students in the Autism inclusion classroom. Ideal candidates possess experience in the field of music in urban education: an understanding of trauma and brain centered learning; and a growth mindset that will promote student achievement.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plan and execute lessons that have clear objectives communicated to students.
- Plans a balanced music program, and organizes daily class time so that preparation, rehearsal and instruction can be accomplished within the allotted time.
- Employ special educational strategies and techniques during instruction to improve the development of sensory- and perceptual-motor skills, language, cognition, and memory.
- Maintains care/responsibility for school-owned music, musical instruments, and equipment to prevent loss or abuse.
- Modify the general education curriculum for students based upon a variety of instructional techniques and technologies to be inclusive of all GPA students.
- Plan and conduct activities for a balanced program of instruction, demonstration, and work time that provides students with opportunities to observe, question, and investigate.
- Set and enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining an environment conducive to learning for all students: expectations for student learning, motivation, and presentation of work.
- Plan opportunities to contribute to children’s music knowledge and to their personal, spiritual, moral, social and cultural development. This includes leading weekly club from 1:00 – 2:00PM
- Assist with school-wide showcases (i.e. weekly assemblies and school wide celebrations)
- Along with other members of the creative arts team organize and contribute to any school-wide celebrations, displays and programs requested.
- Meet with parents to discuss their children’s progress (Parent Teacher Conferences)
- Maintain professional competence by participating in staff development activities, curriculum development meetings, and other professional opportunities.
- Attend school events and functions as required.
- Contribute to the overall safety and well-being of our students through following school-wide structures and staff roles and responsibilities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- The successful candidate must demonstrate knowledge and implementation of a music curriculum and/or musical scope and sequence for general education focus areas such as harmony, appreciation, history, and ensemble.
- Global Preparatory Academy teachers use the gradual release lesson delivery framework.
- The music educator also demonstrates the ability to provide positive behavioral support to students in a group and in an individual setting; demonstrates an understanding of the federal, state, and local mandates governing the determination and delivery of special education services; completes observations and reports pertaining to learning behaviors of students; displays the ability to work effectively with administrators, colleagues, central office and school based staff, students, parents and community members.
- Overall, the music educator possesses excellent human relations skills and a working knowledge of the English language in written and verbal form.
In order to perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in an approved program for Music Education.
- Must be eligible or possess a valid Professional License from the State of Indiana.
- Ideal candidate has urban education experience and is bilingual.
Global Preparatory Academy is an equal opportunity employer.
Thank you for your interest in an open position.
Please fill out the form below to stay informed about relevant job opportunities from Teach Indy.