Long-Term Reading Substitute Teacher- Indianapolis Metropolitan High School
Indianapolis Metropolitan High School
The Science of Reading Long-Term Science Substitute Instructor will serve as a member of the instructional team for an extended period of time such as maternity leave, unexpected vacancy, etc. of the permanent classroom teacher. This role will develop and implement lessons based on state standards and school curriculum maps and resources, deliver differentiated instruction, and provide feedback and improve student learning for a diverse group of students. This role demonstrates behaviors consistent with our Mission, Vision and Values, on behalf of Goodwill of Central & Southern Indiana.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the response to intervention process and resources to support student learning
- Create lesson plans and assessments in accordance with the school’s mission, vision, values, and goals, and objectives
- Deliver lessons aligned to standards and pacing using research-based practices and high-quality resources
- Teach using a variety of methods both independently or with a team of other grade-level content specialists designed to guide students toward mastery and understanding of how disciplines connect through authentic application of learning requiring cognitive reasoning and use of 21st-century skills
- Maintain a safe classroom environment conducive to effective learning experiences for students from a wide range of socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds, and academic readiness.
- Build and shape instruction around student needs
- Actively participate in extracurricular activities such as parent night, collaborative committees, leadership cross-functional teams, weekly staff meetings, student clubs, sporting events, etc.
- Communicate regularly with families regarding the progress and development of students
- Collaborates in the classroom with fellow teachers and administration
- Bachelor’s degree preferred and/or working towards obtaining degree
- Current Indiana teaching certification in subject specialty is preferred
- Ideal candidates will have teaching experience with a proven record of results that illustrate the teacher’s ability to increase student achievement by utilizing subject-specific instructional strategies
- Ability to analyze and interpret data and make necessary adjustments to achieve learning goals
- Has working knowledge of computer programs to perform clerical tasks: Google Applications (specifically Gmail), Excel, Word and Internet Explorer.
- Experience working with high school age students preferred
- Must be able to successfully pass a background check
Benefits: Full-time employees may participate in a comprehensive benefits program that includes:
- Continuing education and leadership development as well as tuition reimbursement
- Comprehensive health plan
- Paid time off (PTO) and paid holidays
- Life, dental and vision insurance
- Short- and long-term disability plans
- Nationally recognized preventive health and wellness program
- Section 125 pre-tax health spending account, dependent care spending account and premiums
- Retirement plan with generous match or contribution into Teachers’ Retirement Fund for eligible employees.
Goodwill Education Initiatives
Goodwill strongly believes it is essential to raise education attainment levels in Indiana. Not only are the lifetime earnings of high school graduates significantly higher than those of dropouts, children of high school graduates are 50% less likely to drop out of high school than the children of dropouts are. Goodwill provides opportunities for adults (The Excel Center) and youth (Indianapolis Metropolitan High School).
The Indianapolis Metropolitan Charter High School
Indianapolis Metropolitan High School is a free public school offering a high school education to students in grades 9-12. Indianapolis Met is a best-fit school for students experiencing circumstance that may present a barrier to education. Our school places an emphasis on ensuring students enroll in college or enter into a career that offers a living wage post-graduation.
Indianapolis Met is designed to serve students who are experiencing circumstances that may become barriers to their education.
Thank you for your interest in an open position.
Please fill out the form below to stay informed about relevant job opportunities from Teach Indy.