This is a hybrid teaching and instructional leadership role. The teacher will serve as a member of the instructional team, the instructional leadership team, and the cabinet leadership team, facilitating learning for high school students in a “best fit” environment for teenagers with significant barriers to education. Specifically, this teacher leader will teach developmental reading or literacy courses, support other staff teaching literacy courses, and provide schoolwide professional development and support in regards to literacy instruction and supporting developmental readers in content area classrooms and college and career readiness initiatives.
School priorities include:
- High rigor, high support instruction to close academic gaps and prepare students for post-secondary opportunities
- Trauma-informed social emotional learning
- Student and family empowerment through coordination with a robust Student Services team of coaches, counselors, and more.
This role demonstrates behaviors consistent with our Mission, Vision and Values, on behalf of Goodwill of Central & Southern Indiana. To learn more about our Mission and Values, please click here.
Cabinet Leader Responsibilities
- Partner with school leadership to determine essential team objectives that support the mission and vision of the school.
- Collect and monitor data around key team metrics and report progress regularly to the school administration and cabinet.
- Lead group initiatives that result in achievement of team objectives.
- Provide feedback and professional development to support other members of the team in implementing best practices aligned with school mission and vision and improving individual team members’ contributions toward team goals.
- Provide coaching in alignment with the administration’s formal evaluations.
- Communicate closely with administration regarding the progress and support of team members.
- Support the school administration with recruitment, hiring, onboarding, and ongoing training for staff roles within this team.
- Support the school administration with developing and maintaining community partnerships relevant to the team.
- Serve as a member of the school’s Cabinet leadership team and serve as an active leader on school-wide initiatives.
- Facilitate standards-aligned, research-based instructional plans using a combination of school-provided and teacher-created materials, with an emphasis on disciplinary literacy.
- Assess and respond to evidence of student learning to differentiate and provide support for learners at a variety of levels.
- Engage in frequent instructional coaching and professional learning community collaboration to improve student learning.
- Foster a structured and supportive classroom environment that is consistent with school agreements, trauma-informed, and provides students with frequent feedback to support their social emotional development.
- Build relationships with students and their webs of support. Communicate strengths and challenges frequently and use restorative approaches to resolve conflict.
- Collaborate with colleagues to refer and connect students to wraparound supports including Family Empowerment Coaching for internal and community resources, Social Emotional Learning, Special Education, and more.
- Participate in school cultural initiatives including facilitating an advisory class focused on an elective topic.
- Support the school community by attending extracurricular events such as athletic contests and family nights.
- Other duties as assigned.