Instructional Interventionist (Part-Time)- Excel Center Michigan St. The Excel Center Michigan Street
The Instructional Interventionist supports academic achievement for students attending Excel Center, meeting students where they are. The Interventionist employs a student-centered approach effectively tailoring individual or small group instruction to students who are struggling academically. Duties include monitoring, reporting, and communicating student progress and performance. The position will work under the direct supervision of the leadership team who will oversee which students receive intervention as well as intervention strategies. This position is funded by the ESSER grant to support the return to in-person instruction and school improvement goals while adhering to the Indiana State Standards.
Example Duties and Activities
- Partners with teachers, administration, and families to help identify best practices for the delivery of high-quality instruction to individual students and small groups that meet academic standards and measure progress towards student mastery of the Indiana Academic Standards, Common Core State Standards, and 21st Century Skills.
- Works with school personnel to implement and utilize identified research-based interventions that specifically focus on individual student needs.
- Participates in meetings with teachers, coaches, and administration to discuss student placement and progress. Assists with identifying students for placement in intervention groups.
- Maintains, tracks, and communicates relevant student performance documentation and data to set improvement and/or achievement goals and to drive future evaluation and feedback. Uses data to provide instruction to students and to bring their skills to mastery.
- Provides diagnostic assessments for students as needed.
- Assists with student attendance keeping.
- Develops personal professional/performance goals and action plans to reach goals. Reflects on prior goals and makes adjustments to professional practice and goals.
- Works directly with staff to develop and implement school-wide goals around graduation outcomes, enrollment needs, student achievement, retention, etc.
- Works with coaches and leadership staff to aid students’ progress toward graduation and postsecondary planning.
- Assists staff with professional development, training, and goal setting.
- Sets and maintains a high-performance culture for staff and students.
- Participates in student recruitment, enrollment, and outreach efforts.
- Degree and Credential Requirements – NONE! We value candidates who can demonstrate capability and articulate how prior experiences will help them contribute. We believe in continuous learning and professional development.
- Tutoring Expertise – Has a good grasp of a variety of subjects with an ability to explain concepts easily to assist, ideally high school-age students in an urban, nontraditional, and/or adult education setting, in achieving expected competencies in core academic skills. Creates, adapts, and delivers instructional materials to break up learning into steps.
- Academic Mindset – Possesses the essential mindset that all students can succeed. Is compelled to improve the outcomes and lives of students in and out of the classroom.
- Results-Oriented – Is moved to recognize what results are important and what steps need to be taken to achieve goals or targets for self or others. Adept at effectively prioritizing multiple priorities.
- Communication Skills – Articulates thoughts and expresses ideas effectively using oral, written, visual and non-verbal communication skills, as well as listening skills to comprehend others’ needs. Delivers information in person, in writing, and in a digital world.
- Teamwork – Works well with others and makes valued contributions in a team setting in order to achieve the required goals and outcomes. Contributes to creating a positive learning environment that promotes productivity, mentoring, teamwork, and partnership.
- Adaptability – Maintains effectiveness when experiencing shifts in priorities; adjusts effectively while maintaining a positive learning environment.
- Technical Knowledge – Has working knowledge of G Suite and MS Office, as well as student information systems and distance learning technology, preferably Blackboard.
- Information Monitoring/Reporting – Collects and reviews information to manage or improve the achievement of learning goals.
- Background Screening – All candidates must pass a pre-employment background check.
Benefits: Goodwill offers a competitive package of benefits even for part-time employment that includes:
- Corporate wellness program that includes: an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), health coaching and wellness discounts (Weight Watchers, YMCA, etc.)
- Discount programs for phone carriers (Verizon, AT&T, etc.) and 20% discount off Goodwill retail stores immediately upon hire
- Financial education programs- credit union membership and access to online workshops
- Retirement plan with generous match or contribution into Teachers’ Retirement Fund for eligible employees
Goodwill Education Initiatives
Goodwill strongly believes it is essential to raise education attainment levels in Indiana. Not only are the lifetime earnings of high school graduates significantly higher than those of dropouts, children of high school graduates are 50% less likely to drop out of high school than the children of dropouts are. Goodwill provides opportunities for adults (The Excel Center) and youth (Indianapolis Metropolitan High School).
The Excel Center Model
The Excel Center® is operated by Goodwill Education Initiatives, Inc., a not-for-profit organization formed by Goodwill of Central & Southern Indiana.
Recognizing that nearly a half million working-age Hoosiers lack a high school diploma, Goodwill opened The Excel Center for adults in 2010. The Excel Center is a tuition-free public high school for adults offering an Indiana Core 40 high school diploma.
The Excel Center currently serves more than 4,000 students annually. Apply
Thank you for your interest in an open position.
Please fill out the form below to stay informed about relevant job opportunities from Teach Indy.