23-24 Special Education: Emotional Disability Teacher Global Preparatory Academy
Global Preparatory Academy develops compassionate global leaders through a rigorous education program that focuses on hands-on, cultural and Spanish immersion learning opportunities.
Global Prep Academy, a dual language school that connects students from diverse linguistic backgrounds and educates them together in a highly rigorous, engaging and nurturing environment. Using both English and Spanish to instruct students in all core content areas, students will develop high levels of bilingualism and biliteracy, as well as a deep value and understanding of other cultures. As citizens in a global world, students at Global Prep gain limitless access to other cultures through bilingualism and instruction, which emphasizes critical thinking using global perspectives and experiential learning.
Under the direction of the Principal and the Director of Exceptional Learners, the special education ED teacher plans and provides for appropriate learning experiences for students with emotional disabilities in a variety of educational settings. The person in this position is responsible for creating a flexible program and learning environment that provides specialized instruction for students with emotional disabilities, such that the students benefit from the general education curriculum to the greatest extent possible when supported with supplemental aids, accommodations, behavior interventions, and other needed supports. Ideal candidates possess experience in the field of special education working with students with emotional disabilities; experience creating and following behavior plans; an understanding of trauma and brain centered learning; and a growth mindset that will promote student achievement.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide direct and indirect instructional support to students in a positive environment.
- Employ special educational strategies and techniques during instruction to improve the development of sensory- and perceptual-motor skills, language, cognition, and memory.
- Instruct students in academic subjects using a variety of techniques such as phonetics, multi-sensory learning, and repetition to reinforce learning and to meet students’ varying needs and interests.
- Teach socially acceptable behavior, as determined by the students’ individualized education programs (IEPs) by employing techniques in an overall positive behavioral support system.
- Modify the general education curriculum for students with emotional disabilities based upon a variety of instructional techniques and technologies.
- Plan and conduct activities for a balanced program of instruction, demonstration, and work time that provides students with opportunities to observe, question, and investigate.
- Establish and enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining an environment conducive to learning for all students.
- Meet with parents to discuss their children’s progress and to determine priorities for their children and their individualized educational needs.
- Confer with parents, administrators, testing specialists, social workers, and other professionals to develop individualized education programs (IEPs) designed to promote students’ educational, physical, and social/emotional development.
- Maintain accurate and complete student records and prepare reports on children and activities, as required by laws, district policies, and administrative regulations.
- Establish clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects and communicate those objectives to students.
- Develop plans for effective communication, monitoring, and follow-up of students in inclusive classroom settings.
- Provide crisis intervention, as needed, for students and those in inclusive classrooms. Assist in collection of data for providing appropriate classroom interventions.
- Serve as a member of a multidisciplinary team as appropriate.
- Assist in preparation of data for local, state, and federal reports.
- Maintain professional competence by participating in staff development activities, curriculum development meetings, and other professional opportunities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- The successful candidate will demonstrate knowledge of: the necessary principles and application of theory into practice for effective instruction and positive behavioral supports that are beneficial for implementation with all students with emotional disabilities; GPA curriculum and instructional techniques; human behavior, development, and skill performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders; and GPA policies and effective instructional practices.
- The special educator also demonstrates the ability to provide positive behavioral support to students in a group and in an individual setting; demonstrates an understanding of the federal, state, and local mandates governing the determination and delivery of special education services; completes observations and reports pertaining to learning behaviors of students; displays the ability to work effectively with administrators, colleagues, central office and school based staff, students, parents and community members.
- Overall, the special educator possesses excellent human relations skills and a working knowledge of the English language in written and verbal form.
In order to perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in an approved program for special education.
- Must be eligible or possess a valid Professional License from the State of Indiana.
Global Preparatory Academy is an equal opportunity employer. Apply
Thank you for your interest in an open position.
Please fill out the form below to stay informed about relevant job opportunities from Teach Indy.