Herron Preparatory Academy opened its doors for students Fall 2021. HPA support students in kindergarten through 2nd grade with plans to grow to offer all grades through 8th grade. Herron Preparatory Academy joins the award-winning Herron High School and Riverside High School. Herron Classical Schools is a tuition-free, intentionally diverse, public charter school network located in downtown Indianapolis. All schools within the ICS network are founded on the belief that a classical, liberal arts education is the best preparation for a future life of leadership and service.
HPA is seeking candidates for a Special Education Teacher.
All teachers at Herron Classical Schools Classical Schools:
1. Meet and instruct assigned classes in the locations and at times designated.
2. Develop and maintain a classroom environment conducive to effective learning.
3. Together with students, set and maintain standards of classroom behavior.
4. Employ a variety of instructional techniques and instructional media to differentiate instruction and meet student needs.
5. Participate in grade-level meetings and utilize student data to inform instruction.
6. Regularly evaluate student progress and collaborate with colleagues to adjust instruction in response to student needs.
7. Assist with the review of special educational needs of incoming students
8. Write Individualized Education Plans and maintain records as teacher of record as assigned by the Special Education Coordinator.
9. Work with special education students and faculty to provide the appropriate climate for each student to receive his/her accommodations.
10. Work directly with general education teachers on issues that may arise in classroom settings.
11. Follow all IDOE and school guidelines concerning the development and implementation of IEPs.
12. Assist with audits to ensure faculty are adhering to student IEPs and providing the outlined accommodations.
13. Participate in case conferences and annual reviews and assists with the compilation of documentation for student records.
14. Assist in keeping student files, student services, and conferences compliant with the Indiana Laws.
15. Take reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
16. Assist in upholding and enforcing school rules and policies.
17. Work to establish and maintain open lines of communication with students and their parents concerning student academic and behavioral progress.
18. Attend scheduled faculty meetings, professional development meetings, and other sessions as determined by the Administration and Executive Leadership Team. This includes Mandatory attendance at the annual Symposium (a day-long professional development determined by the administration). The date of this event is listed on the Master Calendar.
19. Attend evening events that include but may not be limited to Parent Orientation, Meet the Teacher Night, Parent/Teacher Conferences, and Open Houses. The dates of these events are listed on the Master Calendar.
20. Perform other duties as assigned.
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Nurture a positive relationship with colleagues.
2. Demonstrate respect for colleagues.
3. Support corporation decisions and direction relative to matters of policy and administrative directives. Work as a team player.
4. Demonstrate ability to deal with sensitive issues in a tactful and professional manner.
Diversity & Inclusion – Embracing a Culture of Respect
Diversity and inclusion are integral to Herron Classical Schools’ mission and are embedded in its Core Values. By building a culture of respect and trust through relationships with people and ideas, HCS believes that a highly intentional diversity enriches our community. HCS is committed to creating an inclusive culture where all forms of diversity are embraced, respected, and valued.
HCS Equity Statement
Herron Classical Schools, through action and in partnership with families and community, will uphold the values, policies, and practices that promote cultural competence. We are committed to eliminating biased institutional structures, hiring practices, and practices that affect student learning and achievement. We will embrace and empower students and staff in their individual identities to establish and sustain human dignity, justice, equitable treatment, and inclusiveness in the classroom and workplace. Link to full Equity Statement
Herron Classical Schools Non-discrimination Statement
Herron Classical Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex, gender identity, disability, religion, ancestry, national or ethnic origin, or any characteristic that is legally protected under applicable local, state, or federal law in the administration of its educational policies, behavior policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, food service, hiring practices, and athletic or other school-administered programs.
Herron Classical Schools Non-discrimination Statement
Herron Classical Schools abides by the Indiana Civil Rights Laws (I.C. 22-9-1), Title VI and VII (Civil Rights Act of 1964), the Equal Pay Act of 1973, Title IX (Educational Amendments), Section 504 (Rehabilitation Act of 1973), and the Americans with Disabilities Act (42 USCS § 12101,et.seq.). Complaints regarding acts of sexual discrimination or harassment in violation of Title IX requirements should be filed with Indianapolis Classical Schools Title IX Coordinator, Karen Lalioff, by email firstname.lastname@example.org, by phone at 317-231-0010 x1113, or by filling out a Report of Harassment form available from Student Services or any school administrator. Inquiries regarding compliance by Indianapolis Classical Schools with Title IX and other civil rights laws may be directed to the Title IX Coordinator, Herron High School, 110 E. 16th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202, or the Director of the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, 111 North Canal Street, Suite 1053, Chicago, IL 60606-7204
Full-time benefits include health, dental, vision & life insurance; health savings account contributions, short-term & long-term disability, retirement contributions, paid time off.Apply
Thank you for your interest in an open position.
Please fill out the form below to stay informed about relevant job opportunities from Teach Indy.